Hi, I’m Matt Koenig. I’m on a mission to photograph the world around me in unique and inspiring ways. Here are a few things about me:
- I’ve worked a variety of jobs including restaurant work (dishwasher, cook), saw mill cleanup on the graveyard shift, as a grunt for a moving company (probably where my back problems originated) and as a wildlife biologist for the BLM on marbled murrelet and spotted owl programs. Currently I work as a network analyst for a hospital.
- I’ve explored the dessert southwest and traveled as far away as Indonesia despite having a fear of flying.
- I’m married and have two kids who enjoy taking photographs, usually of me in unflattering predicaments.
- My first camera was a Pentax Me Super that I got for Christmas.
- I’m nervous when taking photos of people (landscapes don’t blink).
- I’m addicted to new camera gear even though I know deep down inside it can’t make me a better photographer, only more broke.
- My favorite photographers are James Nachtwey and David DuChemin.
- I’m constantly planning my next trip (planning is fine but doing is better).
- I’m interested in learning food styling and food/product photography.
I was asked recently what I hoped to convey with my photography. It’s a question that got me thinking about what I enjoy shooting and where I would like my photography to go. It may sound selfish but I shoot mainly for myself as I enjoy the challenge of capturing the world around me in unique and inspiring ways. I think if anything I would want my photography to convey that the world we live in is an incredible and amazing place and we only have to walk out our front door to experience it.
I’m a technology nut and love playing around with new photography gear and learning new post processing techniques in Lightroom. For me photography is not just taking the photo but also developing it into my vision and that takes more than just fancy technology (as fun as it may be) it takes having a vision.
For the geeks out there I shoot with a Canon 5D Mark II and Canon 7D as well as a Canon Powershot S90 for those days I don’t feel like hauling around a heavy dSLR. My favorite lens is probably the Canon 17-40 f/4L. It’s WIDE on that full frame 5D. I also like the Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS II which requires a strong back to carry around all day. It’s an incredibly sharp lens.
My objective for this site is to provide useful photography information such as tips on how to take better photos and ‘how to’ lessons on Lightroom/Photoshop post processing. It’s also a place to display my photos and my travel adventures.
I’d love to connect with you and hear about your own travel adventures and photography passions. You can use this contact form to send me a private message. You can also follow me on Twitter (@mattkoenigphoto). Thanks for taking the time to read about me and I hope to hear from you.
All images on this site are copyrighted to me and only me unless otherwise stated. If you would like to use any of my images on your website, blog, business or other location please contact me for permission first.